Peaceful Valley, 1925

Encampment at the National Indian Congress, Glover Stadium, Spokane, Washington, 1925
As I work with my students on developing mobile history tours for Spokane Historical (which is only weeks away!) I have been discovering some great historic images. So I thought I'd start an occasional series of posts highlighting some of them.

This spectacular image is a Charles Libby photograph of a 1925 Indian camp in Spokane's Peaceful Valley. The scan was provided to me by a local collector who owns an original print. The University of Washington also has a copy. The National Indian Congress was meeting in Spokane and the sports field was made available to them. The even was widely publicized and photographed--see here and here as well.

Up next time--some historic postcards, and a love story.