QR Codes, Part 3: DIY

by Greg Shine, guest blogger

How do QR codes work? How can I make one?

Here’s how they work. First of all, it is staggeringly simple to make a QR Code. Although I’d love to say that it takes hours of coding and work on the interwebs to make a QR code, I’m hereby pulling back the curtain on the wizard. It ain’t rocket science. All you have to do is this:

  1. Identify your data (i.e., the URL for the content you want to folks to access).
  2. Open your web browser and select one of the many QR Code generators. Here’s one I use: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/
  3. Enter the URL. Click enter or generate or whatever action button you use.
  4. Download the resulting image using whatever process you prefer (I like the right click save options).
  5. Print it out, put it up! Tweet your tweeple! Amaze your friends! Show it off to your boss!

As an educator, I still think the most important step is #1…but I’ll get to that in the next post.